Church Bells of Vasai Fort

Posted April 12, 2015 by admin in Legendary Battles
After the Marathas defeated the Portuguese in 1739 all the churches and building in the fort where captured by the Marathas.

The bells from the churches were paraded, carried off on elephant backs as victory souvenirs. Number of bells in the fort are unknown but four bells are located. One such Bell was carried to and located at Naroshankar Temple on the banks of Godavari river in Nasik, Panchavati area.

The other church bell is located at Bhimashankar Temple is located in the village of Bhorgiri 50 km north west of Khed . Third bell is located at Meneshwar temple in Menavali near Panchgani . This bell weighs six hundred and fifty kilograms. The date on the bell shows the year 1707 and has five-alloy bell bears a bas-relief of Mary carrying the infant Jesus Christ cast into it. Fourth church bell is located at Durga Devi temple, Murud

This bell weighs six hundred and fifty kilograms. The date on the bell shows the year 1707 and has five-alloy bell bears a bas-relief of Mary carrying the infant Jesus Christ cast into it. Fourth church bell is located at Durga Devi temple, Murud

Church bell at Naroshankar temple and is called “Naroshankarachi Ghanta”

This church bell is located at Bhimashankar Temple is located in the village of Bhorgiri, near Khed.

       

Bell house at Meneshwar temple, Menavali,

Closer up of the Church Bell in Meneshwar temple showing Mary and Jesus


Bell Housein Meneshwar temple, Menavali

 

Church bell from Vasai/Bessein fort is located at Durga Devi temple, Murud.

Church bell on left in Durga devi temple, Murud.

(1332)

The following two tabs change content below.

Comments

comments